A dog treat killed my dog – please be careful!

Dogs

Read by: 11,949 pet lovers

Share This Article

Our question this week was:

I am writing you about the tragic death of my daughter's 18-month-old Pomeranian this past Friday. Little Lola died when a treat became lodged in her throat. The treat is triangular in shape and has only been on the market since January of this year. Please! Perhaps an article on the hidden dangers of pet treats will help save other pets' lives. My daughter and I want this warning to be Lola's Legacy. I put together a short video to send this message to all pet lovers. At your request, I will be happy to forward it to you.

Thanks,

Deb Kruczek

Answer

Hi – thanks for your email Deb. I've very sorry to hear about little Lola. That had to be an awful experience. I have seen dog treats become lodged in throats causing problems in other dogs.

The dog treat company that makes "Greenies" has been very proactive in trying to educate clients on choosing the right sized treat. Many times problems occur from dogs getting the wrong sized treats and choosing the right size may not always be obvious.

An article that might be interesting to you is Are Greenies Safe for Your Dog. This article talks about problems with treats and size recommendations.

I hope your email will educate some other owner about the dangers and prevent a problem in their dog. Thanks for your email.


Regards,


Dr. Debra




To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!



Share This Article

Related Articles


About The Author

debra-primovic Dr. Debra Primovic

Debra A. Primovic, BSN, DVM, Editor-in-Chief, is a graduate of the Ohio State University School of Nursing and the OSU College of Veterinary Medicine. Following her veterinary medical training, Dr. Primovic practiced in general small animal practices as well as veterinary emergency practices. She was staff veterinarian at the Animal Emergency Clinic of St. Louis, Missouri, one of the busiest emergency/critical care practices in the United States as well as MedVet Columbus, winner of the AAHA Hospital of the year in 2014. She also spends time in general practice at the Granville Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Primovic divides her time among veterinary emergency and general practice, editing, writing, and updating articles for PetPlace.com, and editing and indexing for veterinary publications. She loves both dogs and cats but has had extraordinary cats in her life, all of which have died over the past couple years. Special cats in her life were Kali, Sammy, Pepper and Beanie.