Are snow globes toxic to dogs?



Share This Article


Our question this week was:

Dr. Debra – my snow globe was knocked over and my dog may have played with it. I had one left out from Christmas. Are snow globes a problem?

Jayson C. – Minneapolis MN


Jayson, thanks for your email. You wrote asking if snow globes are toxic. The answer is yes, they can be. Many snow globes contain antifreeze, which is toxic to both dogs and cats. Antifreeze can cause kidney failure and death.

If the snow globe broke and you think there is any possibility your dog drank any of the liquid, then I'd recommend that you call your veterinarian immediately. The risk is considerable if antifreeze was in it and he drank enough to be a toxic dose. If it has been a short period of time a go, your veterinarian may recommend that you induce vomiting in your dog to remove any liquids he may have ingested. If it has been more than a few hours but less than 12 hours, he may want to run a test to determine if there are any toxins (ethylene glycol) her his blood.

Clean up the area well, dilute the area with water and wash really well. Prevent access to that are until it is dry.

For more information on antifreeze toxicity – please read Ethylene Glycol Toxicosis in Dogs.

Dr. Debra

To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!

Share This Article

Related Articles

About The Author

debra-primovic Dr. Debra Primovic

Debra A. Primovic, BSN, DVM, Editor-in-Chief, is a graduate of the Ohio State University School of Nursing and the OSU College of Veterinary Medicine. Following her veterinary medical training, Dr. Primovic practiced in general small animal practices as well as veterinary emergency practices. She was staff veterinarian at the Animal Emergency Clinic of St. Louis, Missouri, one of the busiest emergency/critical care practices in the United States as well as MedVet Columbus, winner of the AAHA Hospital of the year in 2014. She also spends time in general practice at the Granville Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Primovic divides her time among veterinary emergency and general practice, editing, writing, and updating articles for, and editing and indexing for veterinary publications. She loves both dogs and cats but has had extraordinary cats in her life, all of which have died over the past couple years. Special cats in her life were Kali, Sammy, Pepper and Beanie.