What is Garbage Gut?

Dogs

Read by: 5,007 pet lovers

Share This Article

Our question this week was:

My dog got really sick and my vet called the condition garbage gut. Do you know anything about this condition?

Barry H. - New Orleans, LA

Answer

Hi – thanks for your email. Garbage toxicosis, or commonly called "Garbage Gut", refers to a condition caused by dogs that get into the trash and eat food or garbage contaminated with bacteria and potentially with bacterial toxins. Ingestion of spoiled food is often contaminated with bacteria and bacterial toxins that can cause severe and even life threatening signs.

After ingestion, various bacteria (including Streptococcusspp, Salmonella spp., Escherichia coli, Clostridium perfringens and/or "Bacillus spp.) are present in the gastrointestinal tract and can produce toxins that are absorbed into the blood stream. These bacteria can produce toxins that cause shock, collapse and death. Seizures and high fevers can result from some toxins.
Garbage Gut is most common in indoor/outdoor or outdoor dogs that are allowed to roam, as they are most likely to be exposed to and ingest spoiled foods. This can also be caused by people that feed dogs food unfit for human consumption and in dogs fed raw food diets. An article that might be helpful to you is Garbage Gut in Dogs.

Best of luck!


Dr. Debra



To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!

Share This Article

Related Articles


About The Author

debra-primovic Dr. Debra Primovic

Debra A. Primovic, BSN, DVM, Editor-in-Chief, is a graduate of the Ohio State University School of Nursing and the OSU College of Veterinary Medicine. Following her veterinary medical training, Dr. Primovic practiced in general small animal practices as well as veterinary emergency practices. She was staff veterinarian at the Animal Emergency Clinic of St. Louis, Missouri, one of the busiest emergency/critical care practices in the United States as well as MedVet Columbus, winner of the AAHA Hospital of the year in 2014. She also spends time in general practice at the Granville Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Primovic divides her time among veterinary emergency and general practice, editing, writing, and updating articles for PetPlace.com, and editing and indexing for veterinary publications. She loves both dogs and cats but has had extraordinary cats in her life, all of which have died over the past couple years. Special cats in her life were Kali, Sammy, Pepper and Beanie.