PetPlace.com Keeping Your Bird Safe During the Holidays - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Keeping Your Bird Safe During the Holidays

By: Linda Perney

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print
Christmas, New Year's, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa – and all the celebrations they entail pose safety problems for pets. Aside from the overexcitement and confusion caused by too many guests, there are purely physical problems: A loose bird can singe a tail on a candle or swallow small toys or tinsel and wind up with an intestinal blockage that may need surgery to repair.

"Overall, clinic visits at this time of year increase slightly," says Dr. Debra Primovic, a veterinarian at the Animal Emergency Clinic in St. Louis. "But we see more cases of toxicity, cases related to an animal's biting an electrical cord or cases related to a pet eating chocolate or unsafe foods."

Here's how to keep a bird safe during this holiday season:

The Tree

  • The natural smell of a Christmas tree attracts pets. But remember that needles (even artificial ones) are indigestible. So, keep your pet away from the tree by either keeping him confined to his cage or a specific room of the house.

  • Artificial trees pose their own hazards. Small pieces of plastic or aluminum can break off and be swallowed, causing intestinal blockage or irritation to the mouth.

  • Don't use preservatives in the stand water. They can be toxic if consumed by a thirsty pet. Carefully cover the top of the stand with a tree skirt so your pet can't get to it.

  • Lights can get very hot - remove them from the lower branches of the tree so they won't burn.

  • Tinsel is dangerous. Its sharp edges can cause cuts in the mouth. If a pet swallows it, it can block intestines, causing decreased appetite, diarrhea, listlessness and weight loss. Treatment usually involves surgery.

  • Don't use edible ornaments or fragile, easily breakable glass decorations to trim the tree. Your bird may knock over the tree trying to get to them or may decide they're toys and cut himself trying to play with them.

  • Don't use angel hair. It's made of spun glass and can cause irritation on contact.

  • Make sure electrical cords are out of reach, taped firmly to walls or floors. Chewing on wires may cause burns or pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs), which can be fatal.

  • Don't use wire ornament hooks that can easily snag a wing or foot or, if swallowed, can lodge in the throat or intestines. Instead, fashion loops of yarn, ribbons or light weight twine. And be careful not to leave any of that lying around.

    The Gifts

  • Check out the "toys" your pet or kids receive as gifts. A pet can swallow small parts; plastic items can be easily broken and swallowed, too.

  • Gift wrappings can be dangerous to a pet's health: String and ribbon can cause obstruction of the small bowel if swallowed.

  • Before throwing away large boxes or cartons, check the insides to make sure your bird isn't hiding inside.

    The Food

  • Alcohol and chocolate are toxic - keep drinks and sweets out of a pet's reach. Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine. Dark and unsweetened baking chocolate are most dangerous. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, hyperactivity and seizures.
  • There is usually a lot of cooking going on around the holidays. Make sure your bird is no where near the kitchen. Fumes from burnt non-stick cooking ware can be fatal.

    Indoor Hazards

  • Certain plants can be a menace to birds: Poinsettias irritate the stomach and eyes. Berries of the Jerusalem cherry are toxic, and cause pain, vomiting and diarrhea. Holly and mistletoe, amaryllis, chrysanthemum, rhododendron and winter broom as well as Christmas berry, cherry, pepper and rose can all cause problems to pets that ingest them. Note: Liquid potpourri can cause terrible burns in an animal's mouth should it be ingested.

  • Space heaters, wood-burning stoves and fireplaces can cause burns if animals get too close.

  • Candles are a great attraction for pets, but don't leave them alone in a room with a menorah or candelabra blazing. Remember, too, that some scented candles are toxic to pet birds.

  • Comment & Share
    Email To A Friend Print

    Dog Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful dog photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

    Close

    Email to a Friend

    Article to eMail
    Keeping Your Bird Safe During the Holidays




    Thanks!
    Close
    My Pet
    Coming Soon

    Tools to Care for Your Pet and
    Connect with Others!

    Be the First to Know.
    Notify Me