PetPlace.com Are poinsettia plants toxic? - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Are poinsettia plants toxic?

By: Dr. Jon Rappaport

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print


Our question this week was:

Dr. Jon - Are poinsettia plants toxic? I was thinking about getting it for a friend that has several cats and thought I'd ask before I did.

Mary B. – Tulsa OK


Answer

Hi Mary– thanks for your email and happy holidays! I'm glad you wanted to check on the toxicity before just buying a plant. Good thinking!

The Poinsettia (Euphorbia) can cause irritation to the mouth and stomach and sometimes vomiting. It has a low level of toxicity and is overrated as a toxic plant. Many people consider it basically non-toxic.

It is recommended to keep the plant out of the reach of the cats. I think it would be okay to buy it if the owner can keep it out of the reach of her kitties. You can ask her if they bother plants like that or consider one of the artificial poinsettias that are beautiful. Some look very real.

An article that might be helpful to you is Fall and Winter Holiday Plant Toxicity in Cats.

Best of luck!


Dr. Jon



To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Jon Questions and Answers!




Comment & Share
Email To A Friend Print

Cat Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful cat photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

Close

Email to a Friend

Article to eMail
Are poinsettia plants toxic?




Thanks!
Close
My Pet
Coming Soon

Tools to Care for Your Pet and
Connect with Others!

Be the First to Know.
Notify Me