PetPlace.com Danger: Cats Eat These Things - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Danger: Cats Eat These Things

By: Dr. Debra Primovic

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print
You name it and cats can get into it. Some cats actually seek out things to chew, eat or destroy.

Some of these items are generally non-toxic while other items can be highly toxic. I want to give you a list of the most toxic items cats commonly ingest. They include:

  • Yarn, string, ribbon, tinsel, cassette tape and other similar items
  • Potpourri
  • Human medications (e.g. Tylenol)
  • Dog flea medications
  • Easter Lilies
  • Rat poison
  • Cigarettes

    If your cat eats something and you have any doubt about whether it is dangerous or toxic, always call your veterinarian or local emergency clinic.

    By the way – treating a cat that has gotten into a toxin or ingested an object is expensive. The average cost for treatment of a cat that ingests a linear object (like dental floss) is about $6,243. That is a lot of money! It can be less but it can be a lot more as well depending on how long your cat has been sick and what damage has been done.

    Most toxins are treatable, and given time and treatment many pets do quite well.

  • Comment & Share
    Email To A Friend Print

    Cat Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful cat photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

    Close

    Email to a Friend

    Article to eMail
    Danger: Cats Eat These Things




    Thanks!
    Close
    My Pet
    Coming Soon

    Tools to Care for Your Pet and
    Connect with Others!

    Be the First to Know.
    Notify Me