Do real men own cats? PetPlace Readers Speak Out
By: Petplace Staff
Read By: Pet Lovers
A question was posed. 83.6% said – yes, real men can own cats.
Do real men own cats? Yes or No?**
We tossed this poll out to our Petplace.com pet lovers and this is what we learned:
1.1% said no.
16.7 % said...they weren't sure.
So what comments were made? Check them out.
1. Only intelligent, aware, caring men love cats. They are a very complex, thinking animal much ,much smarter than dogs. Cats present a big challenge whereas a dog doesn't. Men should love cats as they are like a woman. One never knows what it is thinking, but if it really wants something lets you know it. Cats are very subtle ,(and know it) in manipulating humans to get their way. I'm not sure, but I think they can also read a person's mind.
2. Cats are cool. Cool guys like cats.
3. I totally think that men who are cat lovers are more compassionate and understanding.
4. I usually get my 4 cats evaluation of the man I want to date before I take the relationship seriously.
5. anyone with a home can appreciate the welcome home greetings of their cat(s). Indoor cats easily adapt to your schedule and are easily the lowest hassle pet going. If you need to be away for a few days its easier to get a friend to come in and feed the cat than it would be to find someone to walk the dog-a couple of times a day.
6. My husband had never been around cats as his father didn't like them. When we married I already had 3 grown cats. A tiny kitten adopted us and my husband was hooked. We now have 13 cats.
7. Men who share their lives with cats tend to be more open, honest and adaptable.
8. Men love cats especially affectionate kitties.
9. men don't actually own cats, cats more or less own us...
10. I'm a "real man" and I love cats. They are my best friends when the guys (and my lady counterpart) are too much to handle. Real men own cats, lazy men own dogs.
11. Men who like cats aren't waiting for someone to ego-stroke, or serve. They appreciate equality. And some men like, and have, both cat and dog friends.
12. My husband is a former "cat hater." After 15 years with a cat-loving woman, he actually picks up our cats, pets them, and talks to them in a high, cute voice.
13. Personally I would rather surround myself with people (men or women) that are cat lovers. I would much rather date a man that loves my cat Bella rather than would not want to be around her. I view my pets almost as if they were children, so I treat them that way even in my dating life. My personal ad would read, "Must Love soft, furry animals, namely my cat Bella" haha!
14. Men who have cats enjoy company, love freedom, elegance and cleanness--my kinda man! I have 8 cats. They are my family.
15. any man who doesn't like cats is not worth knowing...i mean, what kind of a person would they be?
16. THE 1ST QUESTION IS NOT TIED TO THE ARTICLE.
17. ANYONE MALE OR FEMALE THAT DOES NOT LIKE CATS OR ANY ANIMAL FOR THAT MATTER I WOULD NOT BE WITH
18. can't see any reason why men would not like cats, but patience is important along with a deeper intuition
19. Real Men Love CATS!! Any man who doesn't like cats is just insecure and a control freak - cats don't allow people to control them or take orders for any little tidbit of food! And a REAL man shouldn't be insecure OR a control freak!!
20. I have turned my husband into a cat lover. Growing up, he only had dogs. He thought all cats were the same. Now we have four cats, all different from the others. He wouldn't give up any of them. He said if he won the lottery, he would start a cat sanctuary!
21. My husband just loves our three cats, in fact when offered a dog after our beloved cat passed, he said he would rather have another cat over the dog he had always wanted.
22. Indeed, I think men can love cats just as much as dogs.
23. Yes, real men like cats. My female Domestic Short Hair (6 yrs old) since we got her associates with my husband much more than she does me and he loves it! They watch sports programs together, westerns and even the news. She comes to me when she's hungry but goes right back to him...i guess it's cute.
24. I'm entirely certain that it takes a different type of person (this applies to both sexes) to enjoy the nurturing relationship it takes to own a kitty. There is a reason why there's some twisted view of cats being distant and lacking affection for an owner. The people who perceive this are ignorant and it's sad that they deprive themselves of such a tender relationship as occurs between man/woman and kitties. I believe one has to have the intellect and the maturity to reflect about why they don't like cats. The only legitimate reason to dislike cats is if one is allergic, and that it rarely the case with people who have a passion for disliking our fluffies.
25. Men who like cats do not need slaves & adoration. This doesn't preclude liking dogs, too. It just means a different sort of relationship.
26. I love my cat and I can assure you I'm a man.
27. Not sure about the question above! I feel that men who like cats are more compassionate and caring and understanding.
28. I too, have learned that if they do not like cats, they will not like you. I love both cats and dogs, but my last dog, a St. Bernard, is just too big for an apt.
29. I wouldn't trust a man that my cat didn't like. I think cats especially are very good judges of character. Once men are around cats they find them to be much more intelligent than they thought possible.
30. I have 3 stunning cats, a friend of ours doesn't like them and believes real men don't own cats. His opinion changed recently when an older ex-biker friend of him - very scary and very masculine was away and stated he missed his cat - our friend changed his opinion very quickly - CATS ROCK!!!
31. My man just loves our 3 cats
32. I think a man who likes cats is nicer than a man who doesn't cos a man who doesnt like a cat is insecure and wants all the attention on him!
33. I will only date men who like/love cats because these are men who are not insecure - they know that they can be a man and still have and love a cat. Men who love cats tend to be more introspective, sensitive, and compassionate.
34. I think men care about cats but are afraid to admit it because it isn't "manly" to like cats.
35. Only Real men like cats. Men who don't like cats are insecure and/or phony.
36. men like cats just as much as women do
37. i totally agree once a "real man " is introduced to cats , he can't live without them !
38. I'm not sure by what you mean about question #1. Do you mean by name or endearments or what do you mean? I know many men who have cats - and would much rather have cats than dogs! I'm sorry doc but if these 2 questions is all there is to this survey you might as well have not even done it!!!!!!
39. I agree with the vet tech-men that love cats tend to be more gentle, kinder, and not as aggressive as men that like Pit Bulls or other 'tough' dogs. They don't mind showing a softer side, whether it be with a cat or human friend.
40. I have been in a "difficult" situation where the man in my life and one of my cats did not get along. For the safety of my cat, I gave him to a friend. Once the man and I broke up I realized that I got the wrong end of the deal--I should have gotten rid of the man much sooner and kept the cat. From that point on, I have learned to trust the instincts of my cats. If the man does not like cats, he will NEVER, EVER be part of my life.