Our question this week was:Dr. Debra – I have a 2-year-old cat and he got under my feet when I was cooking breakfast – I dropped the pan and hot grease fell on his back. What should I do?
Hi – thanks for your email. You wrote that hot grease fell on your cat. First, be careful not to get burned yourself. Hot grease holds heat and can stick to the hair. If your cat has a lot of hair – that is good as the hair can help protect the skin. Burns can be very painful – so make sure your cat doesn't bite you.
You have a few options. You can try to gently wash the grease off – this will both cool it and get it off your cats fur. You can sometimes place them in the sink and use a grease cleansing dish soap such as Dawn® dishwashing soap. Use cool water (not cold). Make sure you avoid getting soap in the eyes. If it appears that the skin is damaged or your cat is extremely painful – I'd recommend taking your cat to your veterinarian or local emergency clinic.
An article that might be helpful to you is Thermal Burns in Cats
Best of luck!
To read most recent questions Click here!Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!