PetPlace.com Is a Palm plant toxic? - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Is a Palm plant toxic?

By: Dr. Debra Primovic

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print


Our question this week was:

I got a piece of Palm on Palm Sunday and my cat found it and took a nibble. Is it toxic? She seems fine but wanted to ask.

I love your site. Thanks so much for your time.

Bill Peters


Answer

Hi – thanks for your email Bill. You asked if the leaves of a pygmy date palm toxic to pets. Phoenix roebelenii (Pygmy Date Palm, Miniature Date Palm, Roebelin Palm)

They are not considered "toxic" but can cause vomiting and stomach irritation on some cats.

A couple articles that might be helpful to you are Vomiting in cats and Plants That Your Cat Shouldn't Eat.

Best of luck!


Dr. Debra




To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!


Comment & Share
Email To A Friend Print

Cat Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful cat photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

Close

Email to a Friend

Article to eMail
Is a Palm plant toxic?




Thanks!
Close
My Pet
Coming Soon

Tools to Care for Your Pet and
Connect with Others!

Be the First to Know.
Notify Me