PetPlace.com Is an Amaryllis toxic if ingested by a cat? - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Is an Amaryllis toxic if ingested by a cat?

By: Dr. Jon Rappaport

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print


Our question this week was:

Dr. Jon – my cat ingested an Amaryllis leaf. My neighbor gave it to me as an early Christmas present. She seems fine. Is it toxic?

Bethany B.


Answer

Hi – thanks for your email. You wrote asking if Amarylllis is toxic. It can be toxic to some cats. Ingestion of Amaryllis can result in vomiting, diarrhea, depression, lack of appetite, tremors, drooling and abdominal pain in some cats. Keep a close eye on her and call your vet if you notice any symptoms or problems.

A couple articles that might be helpful to you are Toxicity of Holiday Plants, Toxicity of 20 Common Houseplants and Dealing with Cats that Eat Plants.

Best of luck!

Dr. Jon




To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Jon Questions and Answers!




Comment & Share
Email To A Friend Print

Cat Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful cat photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

Close

Email to a Friend

Article to eMail
Is an Amaryllis toxic if ingested by a cat?




Thanks!
Close
My Pet
Coming Soon

Tools to Care for Your Pet and
Connect with Others!

Be the First to Know.
Notify Me