PetPlace.com Sending Flowers? Are They Safe? - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Sending Flowers? Are They Safe?

By: Mary Jo King

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print
Holidays, birthdays and even the occasional apology all have something in common – flowers. Cut flowers are a popular gift and are often found in the home. However, sometimes your pet may find the flowers very tempting and quite tasty. Listed below are 15 of the most popular cut flowers and their level of toxicity.
        
  • Rose: Non-toxic

  • Carnation: Mildly toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flowers can result in vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and lack of appetite.

  • Eucalyptus: Though not a flower, eucalyptus is commonly used as decorative greenery. Mildly toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flowers can result in vomiting and diarrhea.

  • Chrysanthemum: Mildly toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flowers can result in vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and lack of appetite.

  • Tulip: Mildly toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flowers can result in vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and lack of appetite.

  • Calla Lily: Mildly toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flowers can result in irritation of the mouth and throat, vomiting and drooling.

  • Gladiola: Mildly toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flowers can result in vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and abdominal pain.

  • Daisy: Mildly toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flowers can result in vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, staggering and lack of appetite.

  • Lily: Severely toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flowers or any part of the plant can result in vomiting, lack of appetite and kidney failure in cats.

  • Sunflower: Non-toxic.

  • Iris: Mildly toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flowers can result in vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and abdominal pain.

  • Baby's Breath: Mildly toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flowers can result in vomiting and diarrhea.

  • Bird of Paradise: Mildly toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flower can result in vomiting, diarrhea or staggering.

  • Daffodil: Moderately toxic. Chewing or ingesting the flower can result in vomiting, diarrhea, shivering or muscle tremors.

  • Hydrangea: Moderate to severe toxicity. Chewing or ingesting the flower can result in vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite or collapse. Since hydrangea flowers contain cyanide, ingesting a large amount can be quite serious.

  • Comment & Share
    Email To A Friend Print

    Cat Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful cat photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

    Close

    Email to a Friend

    Article to eMail
    Sending Flowers? Are They Safe?




    Thanks!
    Close
    My Pet
    Coming Soon

    Tools to Care for Your Pet and
    Connect with Others!

    Be the First to Know.
    Notify Me