PetPlace.com Tips on Avoiding Household Cleaner Toxicity in Cats - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Tips on Avoiding Household Cleaner Toxicity in Cats

By: Petplace Staff

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print
The ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®) announced that they managed more than 116,000 calls to its Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) hotline in 2006, several of which pertained to common household items.

In 2006, approximately 7,200 calls pertaining to cleaning agents such as bleaches, detergents and disinfectants were received-up 38 percent from the year before. Says Dr. Hansen, "Depending on the circumstances of exposure, some household cleaners can lead to gastrointestinal irritation or even severe oral burns for pets." Additionally, irritation to the respiratory tract may be possible if a product is inhaled.

"All household cleaners and other chemicals should be stored in a secure location well out of the reach of pets," recommends Dr. Hansen, "and when cleaning your pet's food and water bowls, crate or other habitat, a mild soap such as a hand dishwashing detergent along with hot water is a good choice over products containing potentially harsh chemicals."

Comment & Share
Email To A Friend Print

Cat Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful cat photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

Close

Email to a Friend

Article to eMail
Tips on Avoiding Household Cleaner Toxicity in Cats




Thanks!
Close
My Pet
Coming Soon

Tools to Care for Your Pet and
Connect with Others!

Be the First to Know.
Notify Me