PetPlace.com 6 Deadly Poisons That Could Kill Your Dog - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

6 Deadly Poisons That Could Kill Your Dog

By: Dr. Jon Rappaport

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print
Toxins are a common (and potentially expensive) reason why dog owners visit their veterinarians or emergency clinic. I want to give my Pet Place subscribers the information they need to make sure that their precious dogs are not the victims of poisoning.

Today, I would like to share with you the 6 Deadly Poisons That Could Kill Your Dog.


#1 - Antifreeze . This is the most common deadly poison ingested by dogs and cats. As little as one teaspoon can kill a small dog. Antifreeze has a sweet taste and dogs like it. Please make sure to keep ALL antifreeze away from your dog.

#2. Mouse and Rat Baits. There are several ingredients in these products that are toxic. The most common one causes bleeding disorders that can be fatal. Make sure any baits you use are out of your pet's reach.

#3. Slug Bait. In the summer months, slugs come out and bait is used to kill them. The active ingredient in slug bait is metaldehyde, and it can cause uncontrollable seizures in pets.

#4. Dog medications. Overdosing or accidental access to pet medications is a common cause of poisoning in dogs. If your pet accidentally gets anything he shouldn't, call your veterinarian. Early identification and treatment can save his life if caught quickly. If the medication is dangerous enough, your vet may even recommend that you induce vomiting to get it out of his system to prevent problems.

#5. Human medications . Dogs commonly gain access to human medications. Or, they are given these medications by a well-intentioned (but misinformed) owner. Human medication can easily be given in an overdose amount, and some human medications are toxic to dogs. PLEASE don't give your dog any medications without consulting with your veterinarian. Why chance it?

#6. Insecticides. Don't give your pet anything for fleas or ticks unless it is approved by your veterinarian. Some pets are sensitive to certain medications.

I hope these tips will help keep your pet safe. In addition, make sure your pet has the best medical care possible, just in case there is a problem. As you know, I recommend pet insurance to make sure that you will have the means to deal with an unexpected problem when it does happen.

If you already have pet insurance, I congratulate you in taking this important step to help keep your pet safe and healthy.

Well, I hope that you have found this information helpful. Remember to keep all medications and toxins out of reach of your children and pets.

Until next time,

Dr. Jon


Comment & Share
Email To A Friend Print

Dog Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful dog photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

Close

Email to a Friend

Article to eMail
6 Deadly Poisons That Could Kill Your Dog




Thanks!
Close
My Pet
Coming Soon

Tools to Care for Your Pet and
Connect with Others!

Be the First to Know.
Notify Me