PetPlace.com Are azaleas toxic to pets? - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Are azaleas toxic to pets?

By: Dr. Jon Rappaport

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print


Our question this week was:

Dr. Jon – I have azaleas in my yard. Are azaleas toxic to pets?

Answer

Hi – thanks for your email. You wrote asking if azalea plants are toxic. If eaten by pets – they can cause oral irritation – can vomiting and diarrhea in some pets. If your pet gets into it and is drooling – you can rinse their mouth with water. To do this – you can use a turkey baister – simply fill with water and place in his mouth to rinse. Keep his head down so he doesn't aspirate. Don't fight your dog to do this – only do it if you can do it safely without risk of being bitten and if your dog is drooling a lot.

For pets that have problems – they are treated with supportive care and do well. Supportive care generally includes fluids if needed to maintain hydration and medications to prevent vomiting.

A couple articles that might be helpful to you are:

Spring and Summer Plant Toxicity in Dogs
Fall and Winter Holiday Plant Toxicity in Dogs

Best of luck!

Dr. Jon



Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Jon Questions and Answers!


Comment & Share
Email To A Friend Print

Dog Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful dog photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

Close

Email to a Friend

Article to eMail
Are azaleas toxic to pets?




Thanks!
Close
My Pet
Coming Soon

Tools to Care for Your Pet and
Connect with Others!

Be the First to Know.
Notify Me