PetPlace.com Are Christmas tree pine needles toxic? - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Are Christmas tree pine needles toxic?

By: Dr. Debra Primovic

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print


Our question this week was:

Dr. Debra – we took down our tree (finally) and there were pine needles on the floor. I didn't have time to vacuum – and when I got home from work today – my dog vomited some bile with pine needles. Are they toxic? What do you recommend? He is acting fine now and ate a little bit and has kept that food own.

Regards,

Nori V. – Tulsa, OK


Answer

Hi Nori– thanks for your email. Pine needles are not considered toxic but are irritating. they can be irritating to the mouth and stomachs of dogs as well as the feet and pads if they walk on the needles.

Many dogs will vomit after eating the needles. If your dog is acting fine now – everything will probably be okay. I'd recommend vacuuming up all needles to prevent further ingestion.

Best of luck!


Dr. Debra



To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!




Comment & Share
Email To A Friend Print

Dog Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful dog photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

Close

Email to a Friend

Article to eMail
Are Christmas tree pine needles toxic?




Thanks!
Close
My Pet
Coming Soon

Tools to Care for Your Pet and
Connect with Others!

Be the First to Know.
Notify Me