Our question this week was: How do I choose a safe toy for my puppy?
When considering toys for your puppy
, keep this in mind: If it can be swallowed, it is dangerous. The curious nature of a puppy's behavior encourages them to explore their environment with their mouth. It is important to stay away from any toy that may be a choking hazard or swallowing hazard. Toys that can be swallowed can cause a "foreign body" which means the object becomes lodged in the intestinal tract and may require a surgical procedure to be removed.
Stay away from toys with small parts or toys that have pieces that may become dislodged during a playful romp. The same is true for small balls, yarn, ribbon, tassels, and bells. Check toys for glued-on decorations or trim. Also, make sure they are not made of a toxic substance. All of these can cause severe injury to your curious pet.
Choose a size that can not be swallowed and consider this may change as your puppy grows. Choose materials that can not be chewed up as a puppy may swallow the pieces of a chewed up toy.
One of our favorite toys are "Kong" toys in which you can hide a treat inside which keep a puppy busy for hours. They are nearly indestructible, provide a great diversion, and come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Our question this week came from Sally M, Sydney Australia.
To read most recent questions Click here!Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!
Want to learn more about shopping for your puppy? Try a Puppy University Course!
These are short interactive tutorials written by veterinarians that want to help you care for your puppy. Each course is full of useful information and take only 5 minutes or less. Try it!