Treatment is based on the severity of the toxicity. The toxic dose of ibuprofen for stomach ulcers is 50 mg per pound (100 mg/kg) for dogs. The toxic dose of ibuprofen for kidney failure is 150 mg per pound (300 mg/kg). Repeated doses of sub toxic levels can eventually result in toxic signs.
If ingestion of ibuprofen is recent, administration of activated charcoal can help reduce toxin absorption. For stomach ulcers Hospitalization with intravenous fluids is frequently recommended.
Stomach protectants are used to treat ulcers. These medications include famotidine (Pepcid®), cimetidine (Tagamet®), misoprostol (Cytotec®) and sucralfate (Carafate®).
In cases of severe bleeding ulcers resulting in anemia, blood transfusions may be required.
Antiemetic medications such as metoclopramide or Cerenia may be used to control vomiting.
Infrequently, surgery is required if perforating ulcers occur. The goal of surgery is to remove the perforation and treat for abdominal infection (peritonitis).
For kidney failure
If blood tests reveal kidney impairment; hospitalization with intravenous fluids is required for a successful outcome.
After 48 hours of continuous intravenous fluids, blood tests are repeated and, hopefully, kidney function has improved.
For those cases of complete kidney failure with no urine production, prognosis is grave.
In cases of massive overdose, neurologic abnormalities such as seizures can occur. In these situations, anti-convulsants such as diazepam are used.