11. Would you recommend a German shepherd as a breed good for someone with "allergies"?
Almost half (45% answered that they were not sure if a German shepherd
was good for someone with allergies or not. 46% said no, and 8% said yes. Those surveyed did not seem to have a problem with allergies but did not seem to know how to answer the question because they have found that German shepherds do shed quite a bit.
12. Is your German shepherd good around cats? (no signs of aggression, doesn't chase or bother)
Approximately 48% said their German shepherd was good around cats, 19% indicated that they were not sure as their dog had not been around many cats and 33% said their German shepherd was NOT good around cats.
13. How would you describe your German Shepherd's intelligence or trainability?
Over 85% of German shepherd owners said their German shepherd was very smart and very trainable. An additional 14% indicated their German shepherd was "smart" and reasonable trainable, less than 1% said their German shepherd was "not real smart" and no owner said their German shepherd was "actually pretty dumb".
14. How would you describe the energy level of your GSD?
Most users, over 65% said that their German shepherd was high energy sometimes and laid back sometimes, 30% said their German shepherd was high energy almost all the time and approximately 5% said their dog was very laid back/low energy.
15. How would you describe your German shepherds exercise tolerance?
This question asked, for example, his or her ability to run a long distance? German shepherd owners indicated that 60% had a high exercise tolerance and great ability to run long distances. Approximately 34% said they thought their German shepherd had a moderate exercise tolerance and 5% though their dog had a low exercise tolerance.
16. Would you describe your German shepherd as a good "watch dog"?
Most German shepherd owners think of their dogs as great watch dogs. Approximately 95.2% said yes, their dog was a good watch dog with 5% saying "no", their dog was not a good watch dog.
17. How destructive is your German shepherd?
In this question, we asked specifically, does your German shepherd destroy your furniture, shoes, garden and other items? Only 2% thought their dog was very destructive, 16% thought their German shepherds were sometimes destructive, 35% thought their German shepherd was rarely destructive and 48% said their German shepherd was never destructive.
18. How does your German shepherd handle being alone (when you go out or to work)?
We asked this question to determine if this breed had "separation anxiety" issues. Approximately 10% indicated their dog was very anxious when they left and almost 4% indicated their dog would become destructive. The remaining 87% said their dog did not mind when they left and had no issues with separation.
19. If a stranger came on to your property or came up to your dog, what would your German shepherd do?
With this question, we were trying to determine the temperament and also reevaluate its overall value as a "watch dog". Approximately 14% said their dog would wag their tail and want to play or be petted, 75% said their dog would bark and alert them to their presence, and approximately 21% said their dog would potentially act aggressive.
20. Has your German shepherd ever growled or shown its teeth to you or anyone in your family?
We asked if their dog had shown signs of aggression to anyone in the family. 88% indicated no – the dog had never acted aggressive and 12% said the dog had shown some signs of aggression.