Is a Labrador Retriever Right for You? Survey Results from Lab Owners
Dr. Debra Primovic
21. Has your lab every bitten anyone? Over 87% of lab owner said their dog had never bitten anyone. Almost 10% said their dog had "snapped" but never bitten and 2.7% said their dog had bitten someone.
22. How would you describe your lab's personality? In this question, we asked how they would characterize their labs personality. The most common traits were affectionate (73%), playful (69%) and very sweet (66%). Less common traits were independent and demanding. The least common traits were that their dog was anxious (8.7%), nervous (4.3%) or aggressive (2.5%). Hundreds of users filled in the blank to tell us additional terms such as smart, energetic, lovable, loyal, VERY willing to please, persistent, active, energetic, gently and a real water lover. A few indicated that their lab had fear of loud noises (such as storms or fireworks), could be stubborn, occasionally "needy", nervous, and a few described their labs as shy or timid.
23. Have you done any obedience training with your lab? Nearly 63% of lab owner indicated that had done obedience training with their lab and 37% said they had not.
24. How would you describe the "shedding" your lab does? Lab owners answered as follows: sheds a lot (50.3%), sheds sometimes (36.6%), and doesn't shed much (13.1%). In our experience, labs do quite a bit of shedding".
25. Does your lab like to be brushed or combed? Most labs love to be brushed or combed (58%), and additional 39% tolerate it and only 3% hates it.
26. How does your lab handle nail trims? Approximately 20.5% of lab owners said their dog doesn't mind their nail trims, 46% tolerate it, 18% said they hate it. The remaining 16% say they don't know, they have never trimmed their dog's nails.
27. Does your lab like to be dressed up (wear t-shirts or sweaters)? Most labs prefer to wear their own skin (no clothes). Only 2% indicated their dog liked to be dressed up (all the time) with an additional 23% saying their dog liked it sometimes. Approximately 75% indicated that their dog didn't like to be dressed up.
28. How often do you think your lab needs "regular grooming"? We asked lab owners how frequently they thought their lab needed regular grooming which we defined as combing, brushing, and/or bathing. Most lab owners thought their dogs needed some attention on a weekly basis (26%), less than monthly or every couple weeks (25%), followed by monthly (21%), then few times a week (20%), and daily (8%).
29. Is your lab "fussy" about what he eats? Only 3.6% indicated their lab was very fussy, 18.4% said their dog was moderately fussy, and 78% said their lab is not fussy at all – eats anything they put down.
30. Do you give your lab treats? Most lab owners love to give their dog treats! Approximately 54.5% of lab owners said they give their dog treats all the time, 43% said occasionally, and <3% said they did not give their dog treats.