PetPlace.com Is ORBIT chewing gum toxic? - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Is ORBIT chewing gum toxic?

By: Dr. Debra Primovic

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print


Our question this week was:

My dog is vomiting. The only thing I know he ate is ORBIT chewing gum. Is that toxic?

Andrew B.


Answer

Hi – thanks for your email. You wrote saying that your dog is vomiting, acting sick, and you know he got into chewing gum. Some chewing gum contains a product called Xylitol that is toxic. It can cause a low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in some dogs and/or an unusual idiosyncratic liver reaction in other dogs.

Please read this article and take your dog to your veterinarian. The vomiting may or may not be related to the gum but it is better to be safe than sorry.

An article that might be helpful to you is Is Chewing Gum Toxic to Your Pet?.

Best of luck!

Dr. Debra




To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!


Comment & Share
Email To A Friend Print

Dog Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful dog photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

Close

Email to a Friend

Article to eMail
Is ORBIT chewing gum toxic?




Thanks!
Close
My Pet
Coming Soon

Tools to Care for Your Pet and
Connect with Others!

Be the First to Know.
Notify Me