Lead toxicity, also known as plumbism, refers to poisoning due to ingestion or inhalation of products containing the element lead.
Pets may be exposed to lead from several different sources including: Lead paint, paint chips or paint dust from when homes are being renovated or remodeled are a common source of lead poisonong. Paints produced prior to 1977 contain high lead levels.
Lead weights used as sinkers on fishing poles
Lead pellets and shot for use in guns
Household items such as drapery weights, linoleum, rug padding, and foil from the tops of wine bottles
Automotive parts such as batteries, wheel weights, leaded gasoline and discarded oil from cars using leaded gasoline
Construction materials such as solder, putty and caulking
Plumbing and roofing materials
Puppies are more likely to ingest materials containing lead because of their normal chewing and play activities. Younger animals also seem to absorb larger amounts of lead from their gastrointestinal tract than do older animals. Dogs are more likely to eat lead-containing objects than are cats.
Lead toxicity can cause anemia (low red blood cell count), gastrointestinal symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea) and nervous system problems (seizures). Lead crosses the placenta from pregnant mother to babies and is also excreted in her milk. Thus, the developing fetus and nursing young can be affected.
What to Watch For
If you notice any of the following symptoms, call your veterinarian.
Loss of appetite
Mental "dullness" (not alert)
Increased thirst and urinations
Shortness of breath
Intolerance for exercise