Our question this week was:Dr. Debra – my dog ate some glue in my workshop – I'm not sure what brand it was because my dog ate the label off. He chewed on it and it looks like he ate the contents of the glue. Like I say, I can't read the label but it says the active ingredient is diphenylmethane diisocyanate. Is it dangerous? I think he got into it about 2 hours ago and he is acting fine.
Bernie H. – Tulsa, OKAnswer
Hi – thanks for your email. YES, this is VERY dangerous. Diphenylmethane diisocyanate is an active ingredient in a group of glues called Polyurethane glues that water-activated expanding adhesives.
The glue is water activated. The stomach is moist and often has water or liquids. After ingestion, the glue reaches the stomach, expands and hardens. The glue turns into a big hard lump that can not be vomited. I've seen a few dogs after ingestion of this glue and the ball of glue will can expand to the entire shape and size of the stomach. It is terrible.
The glue is very hard with sharp edges and can cause severe irritation and ulceration of the stomach. The only treatment is surgical removal of the glue.
Even if your dog is acting fine now, I'd recommend that you take him to your vet as soon as possible. They will probably do an x-ray to determine if there is a glue mass in the stomach (to confirm that he ate it).
For more information, I'd recommend that you read our article on Polyurethane Glue Ingestion in Dogs
. It will discuss common signs, diagnosis and treatment.
To read most recent questions Click here!Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!