Recently, the PetPlace.com columnist known as the Irreverent Veterinarian wrote a commentary on pet marriage. As part of the commentary, the question was posed to asking if they believed in dog marriage. Do you
The results were as follows – 74.1% said that they did not believe in dog marriage, 15.7% said they were not sure and the remaining 10.3% said that they did believe in pet marriage.
Some of the comments were quite interesting and we will share them with you. Comments to "Do you believe in dog marriage?" included the following:
1. I don't see there is a problem with it. The dogs don't have to pay for the license. The owners do.
2. But only as a fund raiser for shelters
3. This is just ridiculous. Isn't this desecrating what a marriage should be.
4. they are just plain silly
5. it's kind of overdoing it but it's kind of cute too
6. marriage is for humans you are supposed to be faithful during a marriage dogs would obviously cheat all the time
7. I think it makes a mockery of human marriage.
8. If the Dogs are compatible & really seem to care for each other, I have had 3 pairs of dogs ( not married) but they acted like it (all were male & a female, some spayed some not) When the partner died the dog was extremely sad for quite sometime and was always looking for the lost one.
9. There is enough irreverence about marriage without trying to marry pets. However, I do think pets who reside in the same home care about each other, otherwise why would one animal show obvious signs of distress when the other is injured, or of sadness and depression when their companion dies?
10. cute and fun
11. I think it can be cute but just not realistic.
12. It is silly
13. I agree with you on all issues of marriage, but I also think the dogs would enjoy the attention and company.
14. My only comment is Why? If the male is intact he is going to screw around her anyway. They have no job or financial obligations or ownerships. I think people that have weddings for their dogs have nothing better to do. Sad!
15. the money could be better spent on animal shelters & rescues-have a type of party either there or have a party function with proceeds to benefit shelters. Maybe have a "wedding" with guests giving monetary gifts that go directly to the shelter.
16. i think it neat
17. It would be a fun, cute way to honor the addition of an opposite sex dog to a family.
18. it is ridiculous to put this concept onto animals.
19. Humans should let dogs be dogs as much as possible. Too much of a dog's life is unnatural so that he can fit into human culture, so why add to the perversion?
20. It's humanizing dogs and it's not good for them. Why marry them, they don't understand what marriage is. It's a waste of their time and energy. They'd rather be playing fetch.
21. Yes, it's cute. Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it's based on human projection. Any time we try to make our dogs act like anything other than dogs, we're stressing them unnecessarily. Dressing them up for a little game that lasts a few minutes is probably harmless, but taking it further than that and putting expectations on dogs that aren't natural to their species is abusive.
22. One of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard of!
23. I find it absurd
24. It's silly and should be treated as a joke.
25. i get the idea, but come on animals live on primal instinct. They are not emotional like humans, they will never comprehend what 'marriage' is. I think it is selfish that humans try to 'humanize' animals, when they should be embracing everything that is a dog.
26. I think it's fun and cute and a good reason to get friends together. I think it would be a neat fund raising idea for shelter i.e. instead of gifts for the "happy couple" buy gifts for shelter dogs instead :0)
27. Its SO CUTE!
28. I love dogs, but the idea of dog marriage is ridiculous
29. It's cute I also believe from having dogs most of my life that they do get attach to each other. So it just adds to the joy of having others, friends and family come together for some fun.
30. if you have that much extra money sitting around use it for animal charities or any other good cause
31. Besides the basic need to breed , dogs don't perceive the idea of gender. Marriage was designed for human men and women. I've found that in the world of altered pets, with the lack of the primal need to procreate, that dogs that actually have what would be perceived as a loving bonded relationship are the same sex. I don't believe that homosexuality exist in the animal world. So therefore I think that animals, altered pets, form "friendships" but not "sexual relationships" So the traditional marriage is irrelevant in the animal world. So I'm thinking that if pet owners want to commemorate a bond between their pets, then I thing that some other kind of ceremony should be created for that purpose. Please pardon my spelling. I can't find my spell checker at this moment.
32. dumb idea
33. Um, what's the point, really?
34. It seems a bit strange and frivolous.
35. I don't think people should make their dogs get married at all.
37. I think that dogs can pick their own partners, wolves do
38. I think the owners have nothing better to do
39. Doggie weddings would be great if doggies were monogamous by nature.
40. STUPID - STUPID - STUPID ! ! ! I absolutely love my dogs, but COME ON! How dumb is this? I think that Caesar (Dog Whisperer) would absolutely go nuts on this one! A dog is a dog - not a son or daughter to offer up in "marriage." Oh, Brother - - - now I have heard EVERYTHING! (I hope!)
42. it's silly. we humanize them instead of accepting them as an animal.
43. spend the money wasted on rescuing an unwanted or abused dog from a pound.
44. why mess with nature?
45. Yes it is a great Idea, I see Dogs like Humans, why not?
46. Cute, but kind of silly.
47. Stupid but cute
48. sure is stupid to force a human custom on a dog
49. it could not be legally binding since dogs can not give consent
50. i think its rediculas
51. You asked for opinions on pet weddings. I think it's not only anthropomorphic, it's
52. I think people are spending too much money on things like this
53. What's the point? They certainly don't understand it!
54. Silly but, cute
55. It's just an excuse for humans to have something to do, when they have too much time on their hands.
56. there is no reason for it
58. it's crazy!
59. completely stupid and is merely for humans that think their animals are human (animals love us but know they are animals)
60. silly concept but i do think dogs can show preferences for other dogs
61. Stupid and a waste of ;money. Animals don't need marriage to have sex. It is only something some silly, pretentious idiots think will bring them attention.
62. they are ridiculous and pointless
63. I think it is cute, but how would you know if they wanted to get married.
65. it's a fun thing to do
66. pretty stupid idea, and I love dogs more than people
67. I think it is harmless fun if the pets are used to being "dressed" in doggie clothes.
68. cute but silly
69. Dogs don't know thier "married." Some people have too much time and money on thier hands.