37. Frankly, even the maximum penalty allowed by law is not enough. There are too many others who get away with this type of "entertainment." Perhaps if they made an example of him (as they do with other people who break other laws, i.e. DUI/DWI many states are now imposing some pretty stiff penalties and they mean to get drunk drivers off the road), this would wake some people up to (1) quit running these dog fights; (2) never start; or (3) have other report them. The only way to stop this behavior is to increase the penalties (severe prison time)because most people who participate or run these dog fights are usually not too bright and about the only thing that means anything to these people is money out of their pocket or prison time. They don't care about the animals' one iota.
38. They need to look for more of this, and be extremely stiff with the freaks.
39. As an animal lover I feel that any type of abuse given to animals is just plain disgusting, and it makes me sick to my stomach. As for Michael Vick if found guilty, not only should he be given the max penalty, his name should be completely dropped from the list that he ever played professional football. He would be then marked a disgrace to the entire sport.......
40. I think they need to look at what the PEOPLE are doing to create this aggressive K9. The breed itself is not mean or aggressive but if a human teaches them to be that way, they will do so. I raise boxers and have had issues of some being dog aggressive. If one of my breeders have this aggressive trait, I will spay or neuter them and place the in a single dog home. I have seen what can happen to my own beloved babies when they have been in a fight and it is not pleasent nor do they feel good after. Almost any breed can produce an aggressive natured offspring. It is how you raise them and train them as to what you get out of them.
41. I feel that getting pleasure from watching two dogs fight until one is dead is awful.
42. Animals may not be people but they deserve respect. Anyone who enjoys this sport is sick.
43. I don't think because he has status of money and fame should lesson his penalty. If he is found guilty he should pay like any average person out there that would commit a crime like this and be charged to the FULLEST extent of the law.
44. A lovable pit bull owned by friends is the reason we finally decided to get a dog of our own (though we chose another breed). The dogs are not at fault. An individual dog of any breed that is too aggressive may need to be humanely put down if he can't be trained. But there are many well loved family pets of these "fighting breeds" who are no more aggressive than the average dog. I just hope that families looking for this kind of dog will check out the many fine shelters and rescue organizations out there. Puppy
mill breeders don't care who they sell too and, if there is no market for a breed, market forces will put them out of business faster than any law. BTW, when they finally met, the six-year-old Shih Tzu
we adopted let that pit bull know that he was not to be trifled with! :)
45. I despise everything about any kind of abuse and torture of any animal. This breaks my heart, as an animal lover and a human being. I believe anyone who participates, either actively or as a spectator, etc. has lost any kind of soul they might have had. No one should be tried via the press, however, the evidence in M. Vick's case is pretty damning! He's just the tip of the iceberg and if he never does another thing to help anyone, at least his high profile case has brought the ugliness of dog-fighting out into the open. He, and all those who might be guilty along with him, need to suffer the most severe consequences. When this case first came to light several months back, there were some other ball players who felt sympathy for Vick. After all they said, these were "just dogs"! Your article on dog fighting pretty much says it all! Thank you for caring.
46. I think dog fighting is cruel and should be stopped. The dog has no options here, the dog is MADE to do this, and if they don't do well enough they will die. People are breeding dogs such as pitbulls and training them for NO OTHER REASON than to watch it attempt to tear another dog apart, and they are hoping to make money off of it. These people are no better than pimps, they are reaping to rewards of someone, or something, elses work and if that person or dog has to lose their life so that the owner, or pimp, can be richer then oh well, that is OK with them. Try putting the dog owners, trainers etc. into that little fighting pit and tell them that they can come out until one of them is dead, and let them come up with a reason why they shouldn't have to do what they expect their dogs to do for them.
47. What I find very hard to understand is why someone with so much wealth would wish to participate in these types of activities. It would be less infuriating if he had done it because he was poor and desperate. But here's a guy who has everything he needs and who is supposed to be a role model...it's despicable. I say they should make an example out of him.
48. Dog fighting is illegal, if you do the crime you should do the time. Illegal means illegal. Enough said!!!!
49. It is unfortunate that there are hundreds of thousands of children in this country that are treated just as bad or even worse than the dogs mentioned without getting as much press - HOWEVER - treating any living thing the way these sick people do - children or dogs - deserves all the media attention and strictest penalties!
50. These owners should join boxing if their interested in fighting NOT subject these innocent dogs to such severe abuse. Not just the fighting but the way their dogs are raised & mistreated is also the problem. The Pitbull just wants to please his owner so unfortunately they will kill if instructed. Anyone abusing these precious animals by forcing them to fight should suffer the maximum penalty & never allowed to own animals. I own a female Pitbull & she has been trained to be gentle & she is smothered with love. In return she has become my best friend & so loyal that she naturally wants to protect me & please me. At the same time, her vicious side was evident as a puppy & would have developed if in the wrong hands, that's why it's so important that there be strict rules for owners. Sincerely DEB
Do you believe in dog fighting? Take our survey and share your comments