PetPlace.com Rodenticide Poisoning in Dogs - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

Rodenticide Poisoning in Dogs

By: Dr. Ann Marie Manning

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print
Rodenticide poisoning is the accidental ingestion of products used to kill "rodents" such as mice, rats and gophers. These products are common and accidental exposure is frequent. Poisoning is most commonly caused by ingestion of a product containing one of the following ingredients:

  • Bromethalin
  • Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3)
  • Strychnine
  • Zinc phosphide
  • Anticoagulant (warfarin, fumarin, chlorophacinone, diphacinone, difethialone, pindone, bromadiolone, brodaficoum)

    Younger and older pets tend to be more sensitive to the affects of toxicity and underlying liver disease can exacerbate toxicity.

    The impact on the poisoned animal varies depending on the type of poison ingested. An animal may develop a bleeding disorder, neurological problems, gastrointestinal distress or kidney failure. In some cases, rodenticide poisoning is fatal.

    What to Watch For

  • Depression
  • Lethargy
  • Bleeding
  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Increased thirst or urinations
  • Lameness, swollen joints
  • Incoordination
  • Difficulty walking
  • Collapse
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Coughing
  • Extreme sensitivity to light
  • Noise or touch
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Sudden death is possible

  • Comment & Share
    Email To A Friend Print
    Keep reading! This article has multiple pages.

    Dog Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful dog photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

    Close

    Email to a Friend

    Article to eMail
    Rodenticide Poisoning in Dogs




    Thanks!
    Close
    My Pet
    Coming Soon

    Tools to Care for Your Pet and
    Connect with Others!

    Be the First to Know.
    Notify Me