There is no single test that can be performed to make a definitive diagnosis of rodenticide poisoning. However, in addition to a thorough history and physical examination, your veterinarian may recommend one or more of the following tests to aid in the diagnosis.
Tests may include: A complete blood count (CBC)
A serum biochemical profile
Examination of stomach contents
PIVKA (for anticoagulant rodenticide ingestion)
Clotting tests, such as: an activated clotting time (ACT) test, a prothrombin time (PT) test and an activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT) test
Therapy for rodenticide poisoning varies based on the type of poison ingested, the amount ingested and the length of time elapsed since ingestion. Treatments may include one or more of the following:
Vomiting should be induced if ingestion was recent.
Activated charcoal can be administered to bind poison remaining in the stomach.
Gastric lavage (pumping the stomach)
Additional treatments may include:
Blood and/or plasma transfusion
Drugs to treat kidney failure such as furosemide and dopamine
Drugs to reduce swelling of the brain such as mannitol and steroids
Antibiotics may be prescribed if a concurrent infection is identified or suspected.
Home Care and Prevention
Prevent exposure to poisons. If you normally use rodenticides, store them with special care. When poisons are used, place them in areas in which your pets do not have access. . Take special care as rodents may drag poisons within reach of pets. Remember that dogs can often crawl in unlikely areas, especially if they smell other animals such as rodents.
Keep your dog on a leash or in a fenced in yard to minimize exposure to other people's poisons.