If you are getting ready to mulch your spring garden, carefully select a pet-safe mulch. Most types of mulch are relatively safe, however, a new type of mulch made out of cocoa bean hulls is becoming more popular and can be dangerous.
Cocoa bean mulch is a deep brown color with a lovely aroma making it attractive. However, when ingested, it can cause symptoms of chocolate toxicity. If you have a dog that likes to "eat" mulch – you may want to stick with basic hardwood mulch.
For more information on mulch toxicity, please read Cocoa Mulch Toxicity