PetPlace.com What are signs of rat poisoning in dogs? - Page 1

My Pet: FREE Tools to Care for Your Pet and Connect with Others


Over 10,000 Vet Approved Articles Search All Articles

What are signs of rat poisoning in dogs?

By: Dr. Debra Primovic

Read By: Pet Lovers
Email To A Friend Print


Our question this week was:

Dr. Debra – my dog is acting funny. What are signs of eating rat poison?

Angie B. Williamsburg, VA


Answer

Dear Angie,

Thanks for your email and question. You asked what are signs of ingestion of rat poison (rat or mouse product poisoning).

The answer is that it depends on the type of rat poison ingested. One common type (often called an anti-coagulant rodenticide) interferes with blood clotting and common signs are lethargy, weakness, trouble breathing or bleeding. Another type can interfere with brain function and can cause seizures or abnormal mentation. At toxic doses – all of the rat poisons are bad.

If your dog got into rat poison, I'd recommend that you get the container and call your vet as soon as possible. If your vet is closed – call your local emergency clinic.

An article that might be helpful is Rodenticide Poisoning in Dogs.

Best of luck,

Dr. Debra



To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!

Comment & Share
Email To A Friend Print

Dog Photos Enjoy hundreds of beautiful dog photos Let's Be Friends Follow Us On Facebook Follow Us On twitter

Close

Email to a Friend

Article to eMail
What are signs of rat poisoning in dogs?




Thanks!
Close
My Pet
Coming Soon

Tools to Care for Your Pet and
Connect with Others!

Be the First to Know.
Notify Me