Baking for Kids: How About Making a “Kitty Litter Cake”?
Baking for Kids: How About Making a "Kitty Litter Cake"?
I've gotten some requests for this very fun and cute cake recipe. It is called a "Kitty Litter Cake" or "Litter Box Cake". It is actually good too. I've made it for some kids birthday parties and it has always been a hit! Enjoy!
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix (you can also use spice cake but I think it is better with chocolate)
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 package white sandwich cookies (like Oreo cookies but all vanilla with white filling)*
- 1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix
- A few drops green food coloring*
- 12 to 18 small Tootsie Rolls or equivalent
Serving Dishes & Utensils
- 1 NEW cat-litter box
- 1 NEW cat-litter box liner
- 1 NEW pooper scooper (small size is best)
- Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan.
- Prepare pudding and chill.
- Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or food processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs. Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside. You may need to put this in the food processor as well at the end so the green can mix in. The goal is to make a grey shade.
- When cakes are at room temperature, crumble both cakes them into a large bowl. Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.
- Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable. Shape the blunt ends into slightly curved points. Repeat with three more rolls. Bury the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.
- Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with crumbs from the "litter box". Heat the remaining Tootsie Roll until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box.
- Place box on a sheet of newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy!
When you are done, the litter bag the cake is in makes for easy storage or disposal!
Editors note: I have no idea why all the recipes I've read for this cake calls for "green" food coloring. The idea of the cookie crumbles looking like litter should be more of a grey color. You might be able to get this by doing a combination of chocolate and vanilla cookies and blending with a touch of green which may make more of a brown/grey color.
We hope you enjoy this recipe for kitty litter box cake!