Best Recipe for Litter Pan Cake – also called Litter Box Cake |Kitty Litter Cake
Recipe for “Litter Pan Cake” – also called Kitty Litter Cake
This recipe is just plain fun. It is called Kitty Litter Cake, Litter Pan Cake, Litter Box cake and Litterbox cake.
Not only is it fun – it is also very tastey.
It is great for kids but even better for the crazy cat lady (or man) in your life!
I’ve made this for a few parties and it has always been a hit!
Shop ahead. I just picked up a inexpensive new litter box and scoop from my local dollar store.
Here is What You Will Need for Kitty Litter Box Cake
Serving Dishes & Utensils
- 1 NEW cat-litter box
- 1 NEW cat-litter box liner
- 1 NEW pooper scooper (small size is best)
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix (you can also use spice cake but I think it is better with chocolate)
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 package white sandwich cookies (like Oreo cookies but all vanilla with white filling)*
- 1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix
- A few drops green food coloring* (OPTIONAL – NOTE: The “green” coloring may be to make cookie bits look like the odor-controlling chlorophyl bits in kitty litter but is optional. I actually like it looking all grey like the traditional litter. )
- 12 to 18 small Tootsie Rolls or equivalent
- Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan.
- Prepare pudding and chill.
- Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or food processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs. Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside. You may need to put this in the food processor as well at the end so the green can mix in. The goal is to make a grey shade.
- When cakes are at room temperature, crumble both cakes them into a large bowl. Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.
- Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable. Shape the blunt ends into slightly curved points. Repeat with three more rolls. Bury the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.
- Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with crumbs from the “litter box”. Heat the remaining Tootsie Roll until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box.
- Place box on a sheet of newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy!
When you are done, the litter bag the cake is in makes for easy storage or disposal!
Do you have any similar pet type recipes? Email us!
We hope you enjoy this recipe for kitty litter box cake!