A question was posed
How do you refer to your cat? do you…have a cat? Own a cat? What? We tossed this poll out to our Petplace.com pet lovers and this is what we learned:
What do you think? Take our poll. Go to Do you have or Own a Cat.
So what comments were made? Check them out.
1. Good company for handicapped, entertaining while in kitten stage, comforting when older & snooze alot. They sense when your world [mental & physical] is not up to par and will attempt to comfort you with snuggles, purring etc.
2. My cats are like my children. I take care of them and they provide me with companionship.
3. I really don’t agree with any of the above. I have 5 adults and 5 kittens and they are all part of the family.
4. i tell people that i have 2 girls and of corse they are my 2 cats, nobody should own a cat they should just be part of your family.
5. Alex and Pete:they are my family, my friends and my companions. I love them and they love me.
6. I really enjoy having my cat. My cat is very lovable and playful. I treat her as my child. She is also extremely talkative.
7. I currently share my home with 8 wonderful kitties who are my babies. They even have middle names like normal children.
8. In a sense i am a pet owner, however my cats are like my kids so i am more of a pet parent who hast 1 child and 4 cat children.
9. No one can OWN a cat any more than they can own a child. I am Mommy to my kitties and apparently I’m not alone, as the vets all refer to “owners” as mommy or daddy when talking to the animals.
10. When speaking to others, I say, “I have pets.” But I also “feel” like a “pet parent.” And at the same time, I don’t think there’s anything wrong at all with saying, “I’m a pet owner.” Of course, animals have rights, but I feel organizations like PETA take that concept too far. If you have a pet, you ARE a pet owner because you ARE responsible for your pet’s health, safety and well being!
11. Our cats are like children to me and my husband, We love them, play with them, and discipline them when needed. We are empty nest parenes and the kitties fill that void I guess. I say its that “nutureing” feeling.
12. I really do think of my cats as my cat children – they are members of the family and are loved by their human mommy and daddy LOL!
13. Our cat is a member of our family…..though he’s not expected to help with the dishes. His arrival as a tiny brindled black ball of fluff with attitude filled a giant cat-shaped hole in our lives quite nicely.
14. I don’t consider my cat a possession. We’re roommates.
15. Pipsqueak is my senior cat, about five human years old. But She gives in to Meeko, who was twelve weeks when she came into our home about two years ago. Pipsqueak is black & white and a loving cat! She licks/kisses Meeko too much for me. Meeko is a tortise shell female, that is not at all as loving. She’s a little too agressive toward Pipsqueak, who use to play a whole lot with Buster, our Male Main Coon about the same age as Pipsqueak. They use to chase each other through the house & sound like soft hooved horses. A very pleasent sound, I need to add. It was way funny to watch & get out of their way! Buster is no longer with us, so, I thought Pipsqueak needed another playmate. Up popped Meeko. I don’t like the way Meeko seems to take over from Pipsqueak. But, we’re here now, & Pipsqueak seems to tolerate Meeko. Wherever Buster was, Pipsqueak had to be there, but not with Meeko. I sometimes feel sorry for Pipsqueak now. I feel I made a bad choice with Meeko! Oh well,,,,Greg
16. I love it. They are our kids and give me something to come home to!!
17. My cats are definitely part of the family. We don’t “own” them — maybe they own us.
18. You don’t own your kitties; they own you.
19. Love her company
20. I don’t have any “human” kids so my cat and my dog are my furry kids. They are sooo intelligent and loving.Zoe,my cat isvery independant but can be so ‘friendly’ when she wants something i.e. treats.
21. I think my two cats own me!!!
22. Pets choose you that is why when you are looking at a shelter, you should select the ones you are interested in and then let them decide if the feeling is mutual. It makes for a much stronger bond that way if it is their idea and not theirs.
23. You can’t own another animal. Maybe legally so but animals have their own mind. This is like you cannot own a slave. Slaves are human beings.
24. They just like to let us think that we own them but, from their smug looks and their way of making us beg them to eat, play, etc…, they let us know that they actually own us.
25. I am blessed to have a cat and she definately “owns” us! She has us all well trained and we adore her. She makes the family complete. Dad, mom, daughter, son and bird and “Sophie”.
26. I have agreed to care for this little gift from God. It is my responsibility to keep it safe and comfortable. In exchange I receive joy, pleasure, and comfort when I am sad.
27. Our home is a 3 cat household. They think they rule. Mostly I guess they do. They lavish praise on us when we do as they want & admonish us when they don’t get what they want, when they want it. We try to stand our ground, but they can make it impossible. I guess you could say they own us.
28. My cats are my kids. And, in my opinion cats aren’t owned….Cats own everything and their “owners” are their staff.
29. Four cats live with us. We are honored!
30. If you didn’t mind being ignored at times and don’t have any children then a cat is for you.
31. joy an dlots of entertainment
32. MY FAMILY LOVES HAVING PEPE AROUND FOR EVERY OCCASION EVERY MEAL AND EVERY HOLIDAY HE IS A PART OF EVERYTHING WE DO HE EVEN LETS ME KNOW WHEN IT TIME TO GO TO BED
33. My two male cats are part of my family, which consists of my husband and three sons.
34. I am the Housekeeping Staff for my kitty!
35. Actually I’m the bulter ,maid, chef, and warm arms when they want to snuggle. There is no doubt that I’m tolorated until my services are needed again. They love me on their terms and I’ve accepted that. My two darlings are Smidgeon and Foots.They have 2 deceased siblings that lived into their late teens also very loved and missed. They were Mr. Sam and Smudge.
36. i think its great mine is an indoor cat and he always greets me when iv been out all day he always sits on my lap for a cuddle
37. my cat is my sanity and my little buddy!
38. Sometimes it’s more as if the Cat owns me, but as he is a purchased purebred, registered Persian, I guess I “own” him.
39. As a child I always found peace holding and cuddling stray cats. They were a God send. As an adult I am blessed to have them in my life once again. They have been there to help my children find the same peace and reassurance that I found as a child with the strays in my neighbourhood. My daughter still remembers being comforted by our recently departed Mia when she was sad. Look into the eyes of man and see his soul, look into the eyes of a cat and see God.
40. I have 5 cats, they allow me to live with them. I live in the country where the Caracal/Lynx is a threat and I do my utmost to protect my cats, they are on loan to me therefore I must guard them as best I can.
41. Our pets, one dog and two cats, are definitely important parts of our family.
42. I think they own me, and sometimes tolerate me in their home… :). Anyway, as long as I feed them and keep them as safe as I can, as long as they manipulate me to do what they want me to, I’d say I am more like a parent to them – I live with two cats.
43. I have a little girl kitty shes a member of the family and is on the same team as me and my sons so we are a family of 4.
44. Cats are wonderful, most don’t have to be walked and they are the perfect pet for the busy person (esp. if you have more than one) because they won’t let you forget them, but do enjoy being around people (well mine do).
45. Graci is my first cat, I am 30 years old and acquired her in my last year of graduate school. I have fallen in love with her and she is like my child. My husband feels the same, we have no children and she is our only pet. Needless to say, she is SPOILED!
46. I owned 3 indoor cats and have acquired 9 outside stray cats, which I have had fixed and vaccinated all but 4 of them. The other 4 will be done very soon. Two of the indoor were also strays that I brought in and had fixed and vaccinated. The other one is one that I picked up from the humane society. I guess you could say I am a sucker for cats. I love them all…..
47. I am a parent who loves, shares and enjoys time with Jameson. I teach him and help him grow. I often refer to him as my child because I nurture him to be a wonderful companion and best friend.
48. Cats are the alpha beings in every abode. If they are not, they will not remain–either in body or spirit. A professional photographer, I consider my cats as art objects, or rather, art with hearts! If a cat lies on newspaper, it is a jewel none the less. I prize my cats–and I hope they prize me–for their sensitivity, intelligence and often aloofness punctuated by most welcome moments of neediness!
49. I “have” about 15 indoor-outdoor cats (only half really hang out in the house) and another 5 to 7 cats who actually have another home to go to or who are “neighborhood” cats that hang out in our yard. Do you think it might be the catnip?
50. I HAVE 10 FERALS, RESCUED AS EARLY AS 24 HRS OLD, BOTTLE FED AND HAND RAISED. YOU’D THINK THEY WOULD THINK THEY OWE ME, THAT I OWN THEM. HOWEVER, IT IS VERY CLEAR THAT THEY OWN ME. THE REST OF THE COLONY OF 24, OUTSIDE, FEEL THE SAME WAY. WE OF COURSE TNR! BTW. I SHOULD BE THE ONE WEARING A COLLAR WITH A BELL AROUND MY NECK!LOLOL
51. I used to work at a vet clinic and we always refered to getting a new pet as ‘adopting’ and adoption makes me a parent.
52. Pure Joy!!!!!
53. I have my cats, they live in my house but they own me. I have their affection but they dictate everything I do. Not that I mind, much. I love them dearly.
54. I don’t consider myself too extreme but believe that people that don’t like cats are missing a wonderful piece of life. My two bring me immeasurable joy and peace and when I relocate for work, my biggest concern is how to minimize the impact on them. Finding a GREAT vet quickly, a home they can enjoy too and feel safe in, towing a trailer so the car ride over distance is comfortable for them, they are part of my family and I am honored that they both chose me.
55. You can not own a cat, dogs have masters, cats have personal care givers.
56. My 2 cats are like real children to me. I talk to them, take care of them, teach them…. well, mostly I feel like I’m their mom!
57. “the cats have me” is more like it
58. I have a 2 cats, Sam and Ossie, they lay where they want sleep where they want. If they are asleep in my chair I sit in another. My husband and I have actually given up our easy chairs for the sofa because one cat was asleep in his chair and the other in mine.
59. I refer to my cat as my baby boy. I love him so much.
60. IT IS THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD.
61. Our 2 cats are generally referred to as ‘furkids’. Our kids are grown and our cats become our source of laughter, and unabashed love. They, however, let it be known we are human, and therefore, ‘allow’ us into their catworld if they so choose.
62. I am a caretaker of cats. We have 2 indoor darling and a family of 7 brother and sisters, the momma and what I believe is the daddy I call grampa because he is a big tom with sad eyes 🙂
63. Cats pick their beans so it makes sense they we are not the owner but the parent.
64. My cats are my kids, and I love and protect them as I would a child.
65. I have 3, and I foster for the MSPCA which means I currently have a mom and her 5 babies living in my second bathroom for a couple of months. Love them all!
66. I think my two cats own me! Heaven knows they have trained me very well! I wouldn’t trade them for ANYTHING – they give me much love and pleasure, sometimes when I need it most, or, when I don’t! Besides, I don’t think anyone actually owns a cat – no matter how much they may hjave paid for them.
67. Are you kidding? Dogs have owners– cats have staff! No self-respecting cat would admit to anything else!
68. I HAVE HAD THE PRIVILEGE TO SHARE GREAT TIMES WITH MANY WONDERFUL FELINES OVER THE YEARS. WHEN ONE OR TWO ROAD WHIPPED TRAVELERS STOPPED FOR AWHILE…USUALLY SKITTISH, STARVED MAYBE INJURED OR PREGNANT…THEY ARE TENDED TO..CARED FOR AND LOVED, AS MUCH AS THEY WILL LET YOU..IT IS THEIR CHOICE. SOME OF THEM STAYED AND SHARED THEIR INCREDIBLE LOVING PERSONALITIES…AND SOME MOVED ON RESTLESSLY, AS IF ON A QUEST TO FIND SOMEONE OR SOMETHING. SOME STAYED AND SHARED THEIR ENTIRE LIVES…CATS SEEM TO PICK WHERE AND WHO THEY WANT TO BE WITH…..I ALWAYS FEEL BLESSED WHEN A CAT CHOOSES TO BE MY FRIEND…IT IS MAGICAL. S.A. LARGO
69. While my cat probably disagrees, I own my cat.
70. i have 4 and they are my babies
71. Actually neither. Our cat owns us. She found us while she was looking for a family to take care of. She lets us pretend she’s our little kitty girl, but she owns us, she’s training us and according to her we have a long way to go.
72. They have been my heartfelt companions. Always there for me through good times and bad. I say goodbye when I leave the house and yell “Mom’s home” at the end of the day.
73. Truthfully, I’m not sure who’s in charge around here sometimes! Me or the cat! I love my orange tabby named Daisy. After having lost a cat who was 18 1/2 years old, I was so sad. I adopted Daisy & have thoroughly enjoyed her special personality. She always makes me smile when I see her!
74. I have the privilege of sharing my life with 2 Russian Blue felines – sister & brother – they are the light of my life and when I have a few extra dollars, I spend them on treats & toys for the Kits.
75. I never thought I would fall so in love with cats! I was a dog person, but it’s true, cats pick you!!! I got my Cyrano in 1994 when we lived in NYC. I didn’t want a cat, but we were worried about rodents living above a pizza place. We bonded instantly & I had to bring to NJ for Christmas because my roomates were going home to CA. Growing up, we didn’t have pets. Not only did he change my life, but he changed my whole family! He also is a hero! When he was sick, I was assulted and he did everything to protect me from my attacker! He his still going strong!
76. dogs have masters Cats have staff. No one can own a cat, if the think they do, they will quickly be shown who really is the BOSS of the house!
77. My guys are members of the family. I don’t use the word ‘own’ to describe our relationship. I will say I ‘have’ cats sharing my space. And I do call them my ‘fur children’.
78. I have 6 cats! I am their mother. They call me mom, They bring me so much joy everysay, I can’t imagine having house with no cats, on 2nd thought, a home without cats is just a house. No reason to come home.
79. Cats as a rule owner us as humans. Think about how outdoor cats have more than one family that they go and eat and maybe stay a while.
80. I have three cats and they all own me
81. My four cats are family, not like family, just…family. So, I do have pets, and, I’m a pet parent, just like I have children and I’m their parent… We truly are one big happy family, fur and all!
82. The cats wear the pants in the family…
83. I consider my cats to my kids.
84. nobady truely owns a cat, cats own you.
85. The cats (all 3 of them) have my husband and I. We refer to ourselfs as mom and dad at home. (we have no human kids yet)
86. I have two cats. They are both girls. I think the world of them. Iam taking them to Florida for 5 months. Their airfare costs more than mine.
87. The cat owns me
88. Cats definitely fall in to the unowned category. We are their guardians, parents, caretakers… but not owners. They have their favorite humans, for sure, and will sometimes be persuaded by them, but on the whole, I think, they will do what they want.
89. cats “OWN” their owners. They mark us like we are their property. Just like when we take a big marks a lot and put our name on our property.
90. they are like my children.