PetPartners, Inc. is an indirect corporate affiliate of PetPlace.com. PetPlace may be compensated when you click on or make a purchase using the links in this article.
Is my Cat Too Old for Pet Insurance? Can I Insure My Senior Cat?
Senior cats are very special companions. Unfortunately, as cats age, they have more health problems and require more care that can be expensive. Many owners of senior cats are interested in pet insurance but can be difficult to provide them with pet insurance coverage. Below is information to help you understand whether your senior cat can be insured, or whether they are too old for pet insurance.
Every pet insurance company is different. Some have no upper age limits for benefits and will keep covering your cat no matter how old they are, as long as you maintain your policy and pay your premiums. For example, if you insure your cat when he is a kitten, he can be covered for the rest of his life as long as you pay the premium. Commonly, pet insurance companies refuse to offer new policies to dogs outside their age limit.
Eligibility of Senior Cats for Pet Insurance
Based on our research at the time of publication, the following pet insurance companies offered the following eligibility for senior cats:
- Petplan offers insurance to dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens with no upper age limit.
- Pet Partners offers pet insurance to the following:
- Dogs and cats 14 years & younger are eligible for full accident and illness coverage
- If your pet falls outside of these guidelines, Embrace considers them eligible for an accident-only plan.
- Trupanion offers pet insurance to dogs and cats between 8 weeks and 14 years of age.
- VPI offers new coverage to pets 10 years of age or younger.
- Pethealth has no upper age limits for dogs and cats.
- PetsPlusUs insures pets 7 weeks and older.
- ASPCA has no upper age limit.
- Pets Best insures dogs and cats 7 weeks and older with no upper age limit.
- PetsFirst has no age limits.
- Healthy Paws insures all dog and cat breeds from 8 weeks to 14 years of age.
- Protect Your Bubble insures dogs from 8 weeks of age to 12 years old and cats from 8 weeks to 14 years.
- PetSecure insures all ages and all breeds of cats and dogs.
I hope this gives you more information about whether your cat is too old for pet insurance.
Is Pet Insurance Right For You?
Can you afford a $1,000 vet bill? Medical care for pets, including emergency care, diagnostic tests and treatment options, is becoming increasingly more sophisticated and more expensive.
Did You Know? 4 out of 5 pets will have a medical emergency in their lifetime, and every six seconds a pet owner will face a veterinary bill of $1,000 or more.
Visit PetParents and get a quote today to see if pet insurance is right for you.