Our pets can teach us many things – if we're willing to listen. They teach us how to love unconditionally, how to look at each day as a new one, to embrace all the good things and why we need to cherish the simple things in life.
Here are some basic lessons our pets endeavor to teach us:
1. Rest and relaxation are the keys to happiness, so relax any chance you get. And don't work too hard.
2. There is always time for a cat nap.
3. The family that sleeps together stays together. Don't be afraid to curl up really close behind your person's knees or in the crook of the neck and purr.
4. Nighttime is the time to party, and it's more fun if you can share it with your family. Howl, meow, play with their ankles, or leap across the bed to wake them up.
5. Spend time with the people you love, especially when they are working. Sit near the computer and purr, walk across the keyboard occasionally, or better still, knock things off the desk one at a time so your person doesn't get bored.
6. Show your favorite people that you love them. Sit on their lap, pet or rub a leg, or run your tail across their faces to get your message across.
7. Get excited and come running every time a special treat or food is available. Showing a little appreciation and enthusiasm will always get you treats.
8. Don't settle for bland, tasteless food; refuse it and you will be fed fancy and expensive food.
9. Stretch and yawn before you get up, no matter what time it is.
10. Enjoy the sun – lie down, roll around and just appreciate the warmth.
11. Purr when you are happy.
12. Cleanliness is next to godliness, so keep yourself clean and pristine.
13. Appreciate a clean bathroom.
14. Enjoy the solace of a view from a nice window.
15. "Making bread" is good for the soul.
16. Be independent.
17. Don't always do what people want you to do.
18. Keep cool. If you don't want to do something, no need to argue – just don't do it.
19. Don't be afraid to look at things from a different perspective occasionally. Sit high on a bookshelf or peek out from under a chair.
20. Expect to be pampered and treated like a prince or princess, and you will be.