The best way to prevent heartworm disease in your cat is to give your cat heartworm medication, also commonly referred to as cat heartworm prevention and abbreviated by most veterinarians as “HWP”. The best way to choose the correct cat heartworm medication prevention product is to get the advice of your veterinarian. Your cat’s risk of disease is based on your pet’s lifestyle and region in which you live. Those factors combined with your cats’ overall health will influence your veterinarian’s product selection for cat heartworm medication.
The very best and safest cat heartworm medication products on the market are prescription products that are only available from your veterinarian or by prescription from your veterinarian. Below we will discuss some features to consider in the different products as well as some ideal features.
Features to Consider in Cat Heartworm Prevention Medications
- DVM approved or recommended
- Effect (do you want more than one affect e.g. fleas/ticks/heartworms)
- Presentation: spot-on and tablets
- Frequency of administration
Desirable Features in Cat Heartworm Prevention Medications
The ideal cat heartworm prevention medications product is easy to give or apply, safe, effective, and available at a reasonable cost. The product should be the proper size/dosage for your pet. It should cover the problem you are trying to prevent. You may choose a product that does more than one thing e.g. one that prevents both fleas and heartworms. You may also want to consider what type of product is easiest to give e.g. is a pill or topical easier?
Indicate your preference to your veterinarian and they will help you select the best, safest, and most effective product in the presentation style you prefer. It should also come with a guarantee providing the product is given based on veterinarian or manufacturer recommendations. Monthly dosing is the common frequency of most products.
Ideal Choice for Cat Heartworm Prevention Medications
Choose a cat heartworm prevention medications specifically recommended for your cat. Make sure the product is the correct size for the weight of your cat. Some of the top products on the market include:
Heartworm Prevention in Cats
- Interceptor® – Prevents heartworm disease and protects against roundworms, hookworms in cats. It is a tablet formulation to be given at a monthly frequency.
- Heartgard® – Prevents heartworm disease. It is a chewable formulation to be given at a monthly frequency.
Controls Fleas, Ticks and Heartworms for Cats
- Revolution® – Prevents heartworm disease, kills fleas, controls and treats ear mites and the deer tick infestations. It is a liquid application to be given at a monthly frequency.
Safety Tips When Using Cat Heartworm Prevention Medications
- Always read label instructions before administering to your pet
- Review age and weight of your pet before application or dosage
Give all medications as directed, for example if your veterinarian recommends year round treatment, follow their instructions.
Products labeled for another animal types should not be given to another pet (NEVER give your cat products labeled for your dog).
We hope this gives you more information on how to choose the best heartworm medication for your cat.