Get Pet Hair OFF and OUT of Your Home

Share

If you have a pet, you know how frustrating pet hair can be. My cats leave hair everywhere. I vacuum, dust and clean the house only to see new tumbleweeds of hair rolling across the floor. I go out to dinner and look down to find beautiful cat hairs firmly attached to my suit.

In an attempt to learn tips about the most effective ways to deal with pet hair, we surveyed hundreds of PetPlace.com pet lovers to find out how they deal with pet hair in their homes, cars and on their clothes. Over 72% of our responders said that pet hair or fur was a substantial problem in their homes and lives. There is no magic solution to dealing with pet hair but we did get some great tips on how pet lovers all over the world effectively deal with the problem.

Where is pet hair a problem? In one word, everywhere. Our users told us that pet hair was worst on the carpet or floor of their homes followed by "bad" all over the house, on the furniture and finally on their clothing. Most pet owners did not consider pet hair a big problem in their cars.

When do they shed? More than 85% responded that they thought their pet shed all the time with no seasonality. The other 15% thought shedding was bad seasonally.

How do our users deal with pet hair? The most common methods for dealing with pet hair are vacuuming and brushing pets. Approximately 93% vacuum or sweep regularly to deal with hair and 71% also try to regularly brush or groom their pets. About half of these users do the grooming or brushing themselves and about half use a groomer. Another common recommendation was tape rollers with about 59% of responders using a roller on their furniture or clothes.

Here are some tips from our users on how they effectively deal with pet hair in specific locations:

In the house

The number one method our pet lovers use to deal with pet hair in their homes is to vacuum. Followed by frequent changing of air filters and cleaning of bedding.

  • Vacuum – The number one type of vacuum recommended was the Dyson. We received many positive comments about this particular vacuum including: "I have tried many types of vacuums (upright) the purple Dyson which is specific for use with pet fur works the best but it is pretty expensive.". Another comment about the Dyson included: "Buy a Dyson "Animal" vacuum. It works better than any other vacuum. Wish I had all the money I wasted on other vacuums." Another vacuum some users also like is a "shop vac" for reaching under furniture and getting those tumbleweeds of hair. The testimonials for the Dyson were so persuasive that I personally ordered one online. It is great. It is amazing the hair it picks up!
  • Air Cleaners – make sure you change your air filters frequently.
  • Bedding – wash at least weekly. Buy beds with washable covers or lay a blanket that can be easily laundered over their favorite resting spots.

    Flooring

    The preferred type of floor to deal with pet hair is hardwood or tile. Carpet was the biggest problem for our pet owners.

  • Brooms and vacuums – One user gets great results from a rubber broom: "I use one of those "squeegee-bristle" rubber brooms to scrape the cat hair off the carpet into a "ball." I then follow up with vacuuming." The Swiffer® was also recommended for daily touch ups on hardwood and tile floors, for example: "I never used a Swiffer® until we rescued our Blue Heeler. Now I can't live without the dry Swiffer® especially for those in between times when I can't vacuum." And… "You can use the new Swiffer® Vac to easily pick up those dog hair tumbleweeds and it reaches under furniture."
  • Have flooring that matches your pet! A few users actually installed flooring to match their pets! "I took the easy way out – I bought carpets that don't show the golden retriever hair so easily because of the color. The hair is still there, just not as obvious." And… "Have carpet and floor that match your dogs fur. My Pergo® floor is light (Like blonde). Doesn't show from a yellow lab until it fur balls from the fine hair during shedding."
  • Bottom of rubber soled shoe "When it's on the carpeted stairs; the bottom of my tennis shoes is good at removing it; that goes for car seats; and carpeting………You can even put the shoe on your hand to remove the hair."

  • <

    Pg 1 of 3

    >
    Share