PetPartners, Inc. is an indirect corporate affiliate of PetPlace.com. PetPlace may be compensated when you click on or make a purchase using the links in this article.
Injuries from electrocution or electric shock are the result of injury to nerve cells and the intense heat generated as the electricity passes through the body tissues. The most common source of electrical injury to cats is when they bite electrical cords carrying low voltage household currents. This is most common in cats, puppies and kittens.
Keep all electric cords in a safe area and away from your curious cats. Periodic checks of electric cords for teeth marks can alert you to a potential problem. If you find teeth marks on electric cords, unplug the cord and have it replaced. Make sure that electric cords are kept out of the reach of your cats.