Tip on what does the Guaranteed Analysis mean on the pet food label?

Tip on what does the Guaranteed Analysis mean on the pet food label?

This section of the pet food label lists the amounts of each ingredient contained in the food. Typically, the minimum amount of the ingredients is listed and not always the exact amount. When comparing one product to another, you must take moisture content into account. The ingredients should be compared on a dry matter basis.

This means that if 82 percent moisture is present in the food, the remaining items comprise 18 percent of the diet. The minimum values listed for each ingredient (besides water) should be divided by 0.18 in order to get a dry matter amount. Now two products can be compared fairly. For information on minimum nutrient guidelines set forth by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), see Dietary Requirements in Cats.

number-of-posts0 paws up

Previous / Next Article

Previous Article button

Cat Care

Tips on Avoiding Household Cleaner Toxicity in Cats

Next Article button