Proper hydration is crucial in the healing process; however, the ill or painful cat may not be interested in drinking. It is important NOT to force water into your cat, as it could lead to aspiration pneumonia if your cat is not swallowing appropriately.
Listed below are several options to encourage water intake.
1. Give your cat an ice cube to lick.
2. Give a cat a running faucet or fountain dish from which to drink.
3. Allow your cat to lick water from your hand or your finger.
4. Feed canned cat food, as it has a higher water content.
5. Add warm water, tuna juice or low-sodium broth to your cat's food.
7. Adding an ice cube to the water bowl can encourage some cats to drink.
If your cat is weak and not interested in food or water, see your veterinarian.