Tips on Winter Holiday Hazards for Cats

Tips on Winter Holiday Hazards for Cats

Being conscious of potential pet hazards during the holidays can increase the chances of having a safe and happy holiday!

Wintertime holidays are generally indoors. Homes are decorated and special foods are made.

  • During this holiday season, many lights are displayed. With these lights come electric cords. Pets can find these cords interesting and fun chew toys. Electric shock or electric burns can occur.
  • Christmas tree tinsel can be a serious problem if ingested. Tinsel on the tree is a fun play toy for dogs and cats.
  • Live Christmas trees can become a fire hazard and a house fire can occur. Pets trapped in fires may suffer from thermal burns, smoke inhalation or carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Chocolate is a popular food during the holidays. Excessive chocolate can be toxic to dogs and cats.
  • Inquisitive pets may tear open wrapped gifts and could destroy the contents of the gift. Limiting access to the gift area will eliminate this potential disaster.
  • Ingestion of large amounts of high fat foods can result in serious gastrointestinal upset.

    To learn more, read Winter Hazards.

  • number-of-posts0 paws up

    Previous / Next Article

    Previous Article button

    Cat Care

    Life After Death: Caring for the Cat of a Deceased Owner

    Next Article button