Homemade Treats for the Older Cat
As cats age, their nutritional requirements change. Some cats may become finicky and not eat as well as they should. Here are some recipes to encourage your older feline to enjoy a treat now and then. For more suggestions on caring for your older cat, see As Old As He Feels.
- 2/3 cup cooked fish fillet – boned and chopped
- 3/4 cup cooked barley
- 3 teaspoons steamed carrots, chopped
- 3 teaspoons cooked green beans
- 2 teaspoon nonfat milk
In a bowl, combine the fish and barley. Stir in the carrots and green beans. Place the dried milk in a small bowl. Stir in a little water and pour over the fish mixture. Refrigerate and serve small amounts as treats.
Lean Turkey Cuisine
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon bell pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup extra-lean ground chicken or turkey
- 1 baby carrot, cooked and mashed
- 1 teaspoon grated cheese
Heat the oil in a small skillet and sauté the bell pepper until tender. Stir in the ground meat and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cheese. Place the mixture in a bowl and let cool. Serve warm in small amounts or refrigerate and serve as small portions.
Long Liver Tidbits
- 1 or 2 whole chicken livers
- 1 tablespoon seeded tomato, chopped and peeled
- 2 teaspoons low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
In a small saucepan, cook the liver in a small amount of water for 2 minutes. Remove the liver and let cool. Stir tomato, cottage cheese and garlic powder together. Chop the liver into bite-sized pieces and stir into the bowl. Refrigerate and serve in small tidbits.