Pets can be poisoned by a number of ways. Besides ingesting toxic substances, they can breathe in toxins present in the air. The most common inhaled toxins are carbon monoxide and smoke from fires.
Carbon monoxide is typically associated with confinement in a running vehicle but can also occur in a home with improper ventilation and faulty furnaces. If you suspect that your pet has been exposed to carbon monoxide, remove him from the scene and place in an area with fresh air. Contact your veterinarian or local emergency facility for further instructions.
For more information, please click on Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
Smoke inhalation is another common inhaled toxin. Smoke can create significant damage within the airways. Pets, as well as people, can quickly succumb to the effects of smoke inhalation. If your pet is exposed to smoke, immediately remove him from the area. Allow his access to fresh air. If oxygen is available, offer by face mask. Contact your veterinarian or local emergency facility immediately. Your pet will require additional medical treatment for a successful outcome.
For more information, please click on Smoke Inhalation.