Holidays are often times that gifts are given. For some, flowers do not last long enough and a plant is a better, and longer lasting, gift. But if your family includes pets, you may want to learn which plants are safe and which to avoid.
Springtime holidays are often associated with bulb plants and ingestion of the bulbs causes the most severe illness. Summer holidays are associated with plants. Here are some of the more common spring and summer holiday plants and information on their toxicity.
Easter lily (Lilium or Hemorocallis sp.). This plant has serious toxic effects in cats. Kidney failure, vomiting and depression can occur after ingesting a small amount. So far, only cats seem to be affected.
Tulip (Tulip spp.). Ingestion can result in intense vomiting, depression, diarrhea, drooling and lack of appetite.
Hyacinth (Hyacinthus oreintalis). Ingestion can result in intense vomiting, diarrhea, depression and tremors.
Daffodil (Narcissus spp). Ingestion can result in severe gastrointestinal illness, convulsions, seizures, low blood pressure and tremors.
Peace lily (Spathiphyllum spp). Ingestion can result in ulcers in the mouth, vomiting and diarrhea.
Easter cactus (Schlumbergera bridgesi). Ingestion can result in vomiting, diarrhea and depression. Cats can also develop staggering.
Easter daisy (Townsendia sericea). This plant is considered non toxic.
Easter orchid (Cattleya mossiae). This plant is considered non toxic.
Easter lily cactus (Echinopsis multiplex). This plant is considered non toxic.
Resurrection lily (Kaempferia pulchra). This plant is considered non toxic.
Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia splendens prostrata). Ingestion results in vomiting and diarrhea.