Cat treats for young cats
Our question this week was:
How about treats to feed younger cats? Under a year? Thanks!
Hi – thanks for your email. You can give kittens treats. Kittens don’t need treats but you can certainly give treats to a kitten or cats.
Treats can be commercial treats that you buy or some that you make. There are multiple companies that make treats – most of them are fine. I generally select treats based on what flavors the cat likes most e.g. fish or chicken. Just make sure you feed them in moderation and make sure your kitten is eating a high quality pet food as her core diet.
Here is one recipe you can try:
- 6 ounce can of tuna
- 1/4 cup water drained from tuna
- 3 T cooked egg white, chopped
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flourPreheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine tuna, egg white and water. Add cornmeal and flour and blend to form a dough. Knead into a ball and roll to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into one-inch sized pieces. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Makes 12 cookies.
- For more recipes, please read this article on Petplace.com “Homemade Treats for Your Cat“.
- Best of luck!
- Dr. Debra
- To read most recent questions Click here!
- Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!