Danger: Cats Eat These Things

Danger: Cats Eat These Things

post imagepost image
post imagepost image

You name it and cats can get into it. Some cats actually seek out things to chew, eat or destroy.

Some of these items are generally non-toxic while other items can be highly toxic. I want to give you a list of the most toxic items cats commonly ingest. They include:

  • Yarn, string, ribbon, tinsel, cassette tape and other similar items
  • Potpourri
  • Human medications (e.g. Tylenol)
  • Dog flea medications
  • Easter Lilies
  • Rat poison
  • Cigarettes

    If your cat eats something and you have any doubt about whether it is dangerous or toxic, always call your veterinarian or local emergency clinic.

    By the way – treating a cat that has gotten into a toxin or ingested an object is expensive. The average cost for treatment of a cat that ingests a linear object (like dental floss) is about $6,243. That is a lot of money! It can be less but it can be a lot more as well depending on how long your cat has been sick and what damage has been done.

    Most toxins are treatable, and given time and treatment many pets do quite well.

  • number-of-posts0 paws up

    Previous / Next Article

    Previous Article button

    Vet Q&A

    My cat eats LOTS of grass

    Next Article button