Our question this week was:
Dr. Debra – I have a cat and would love to do visits to a local nursing home. How can I tell if this would be right for him?
Hi – thanks for your email. You wrote asking how to determine if your cat would be a good therapy cat. I’d recommend that you contact a few nursing homes or therapy groups to determine what their qualifications are. They may differ slightly but would expect them to require:
- Healthy and up-to-date on all vaccines
- Free of parasites such as fleas
- Spayed or neutered
- No history of aggression or behavioral problems that could impact your visits
- Be a social “people” cat – that is a cat that likes to socialize and meet new people
- Not be particularly frightened by different sounds or things (such as wheel chair or electric bed, etc).
- You have the time to take your cat
For more information, you may want to go to: Delta Society Pet Partners
To read most recent questions Click here!
Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!