How do I know if my cat is having problems with her pregnancy?
Our question this week was:
Dr. Debra – How do I know if my cat is having problems with her pregnancy?
Hi – thanks for your email Sara. There are several indicators of pregnancy problems. If a cat is lethargic, vomiting or not eating during the pregnancy – that is cause for concern. If a cat is having difficulty giving birth (the medical term is dystocia) – she should be examined by a veterinarian. Signs of problems include:
- The first stage of labor lasting longer than 24 hours.
- No baby has been produced after 60 minutes of continuous, hard pushing.
- More than 4 hours from the delivery of the last baby (although some cats can go longer – especially if disturbed).
- A baby stuck in the birth canal that does not pass after 15 minutes.
- Profound lethargy or exhaustion in the mother.
- Abnormal bleeding.
- Foul discharge from the vulva.A couple articles that might be helpful to you are Pregnancy in Cats and Dystocia – Difficult Birth in Cats.
Best of luck!
- Dr. Debra
- To read most recent questions Click here!
- Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!