What Do I do with Recalled Food?

Our question this week was:

What do I do if I have some of the recalled food in my house?

J. Williams


Hi – thanks for your email. If you have recalled food in your home, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association, the recommendation is:

Do not feed the food or treats to your pet. If the product is unopened, you may return it to the store from which you purchased the food or treats.

If the product is opened, dispose of the remaining food or treats so that your pet cannot get to it. If your animal appears normal, consult with your veterinarian and/or monitor your animal closely for signs of illness.

If your animal shows any signs of illness and has been fed one or more of the recalled foods or treats, have your animal evaluated by a veterinarian. Store any opened food or treats away from the reach of animals, and contact your state Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Consumer Complaint Coordinator. For a state-by-state list of Coordinators, go to http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html.

Please include as much information as possible, including the specific product name, lot numbers, veterinarian’s report and diagnosis, etc.


Dr. Debra

To read most recent questions Click here!

Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!