Our question this week was:
Dr. Debra – my cat was recently hospitalized with song bird Fever – have you ever heard of that?
Hi – thanks for your email. Yes, I've heard of Song Bird Fever. Song Bird Fever is a condition caused by ingestion of decayed carcass of a song bird. Ingestion of the spoiled carcass is often contaminated with bacteria and bacterial toxins that can cause severe and even life threatening signs. After ingestion, various bacteria (incuding Streptococcusspp, Salmonella spp., Escherichia coli, Clostridium perfringens and/or "Bacillus spp.) are present in the gastrointestinal tract and can produce toxins that are absorbed into the blood stream. These bacteria can produce toxins that cause shock, collapse and death.
An article that might be helpful to you is Song Bird Fever in Cats.
Best of luck!
To read most recent questions Click here!
Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!