What kind of milk replacement should I give my orphaned kitten?
Our question this week was:
I am caring for a litter of orphaned kittens. Someone told me cows milk was fine but someone else told me that it is not fine. What do you recommend?
Laura A. Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Laura– thanks for your question. Stay away from cow’s milk – it lacks the nutrients and can cause diarrhea.
Recommended products for a kitten milk replacement includes:
- Milk from another nursing queen (foster mother if possible)
- Kitten Milk Replacer (Pet-Ag, Inc)
- Feline Milk Substitute (Waltham)
- Unilact Liquid or Powder (Upjohn Company)
- Queen’s Milk Replacer (Iams)An article that might be really helpful to you is Caring for Orphaned Kittens. This article talks about the products as well as how to feed and care for orphaned kittens.
- Best of luck!
- Dr. Debra
- To read most recent questions Click here!
- Click here to see the full list of Ask Dr. Debra Questions and Answers!