My dog ate some diphenylmethane diisocyanate glue – is it dangerous?
Our question this week was:
Dr. Debra – my dog ate some glue in my workshop – I’m not sure what brand it was because my dog ate the label off. He chewed on it and it looks like he ate the contents of the glue. Like I say, I can’t read the label but it says the active ingredient is diphenylmethane diisocyanate. Is it dangerous? I think he got into it about 2 hours ago and he is acting fine.
Bernie H. – Tulsa, OK
Hi – thanks for your email. YES, this is VERY dangerous. Diphenylmethane diisocyanate is an active ingredient in a group of glues called Polyurethane glues that water-activated expanding adhesives.
The glue is water activated. The stomach is moist and often has water or liquids. After ingestion, the glue reaches the stomach, expands and hardens. The glue turns into a big hard lump that can not be vomited. I’ve seen a few dogs after ingestion of this glue and the ball of glue will can expand to the entire shape and size of the stomach. It is terrible.
The glue is very hard with sharp edges and can cause severe irritation and ulceration of the stomach. The only treatment is surgical removal of the glue.
Even if your dog is acting fine now, I’d recommend that you take him to your vet as soon as possible. They will probably do an x-ray to determine if there is a glue mass in the stomach (to confirm that he ate it).
For more information, I’d recommend that you read our article on Polyurethane Glue Ingestion in Dogs. It will discuss common signs, diagnosis and treatment.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
debra-primovicDr. Debra Primovic
Debra A. Primovic, BSN, DVM, Editor-in-Chief, is a graduate of the Ohio State University School of Nursing and the OSU College of Veterinary Medicine. Following her veterinary medical training, Dr. Primovic practiced in general small animal practices as well as veterinary emergency practices. She was staff veterinarian at the Animal Emergency Clinic of St. Louis, Missouri, one of the busiest emergency/critical care practices in the United States as well as MedVet Columbus, winner of the AAHA Hospital of the year in 2014. She also spends time in general practice at the Granville Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Primovic divides her time among veterinary emergency and general practice, editing, writing, and updating articles for PetPlace.com, and editing and indexing for veterinary publications. She loves both dogs and cats but has had extraordinary cats in her life, all of which have died over the past couple years. Special cats in her life were Kali, Sammy, Pepper and Beanie.